Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 100

Thread: Evangelista camp

  1. #1
    Senior Member D+F+P=Hadouken!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,724

    Evangelista camp

    Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

  2. #2
    Senior Member afc fencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    atlanta,ga
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    Where did you find info about this?

    I found this on his website
    "Mr. Evangelista is
    the fencing history editor for Encyclopedia Britannica."

  3. #3
    Senior Member D+F+P=Hadouken!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by afc fencer
    Where did you find info about this?

    I found this on his website
    "Mr. Evangelista is
    the fencing history editor for Encyclopedia Britannica."
    its in the newsletter that the USFA sent out about their summer camps.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

  4. #4
    Senior Member epeeisky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    Excuse my ignorance. What did Nick Evangelista do to deserve such scorn?
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

  5. #5
    Senior Member D+F+P=Hadouken!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by epeeisky
    Excuse my ignorance. What did Nick Evangelista do to deserve such scorn?
    He's said alot of nasty things about electric fencing, athletic fencing, epee, sabre and flicks. Apparently, the only thing he considers fencing is dry, classical foil.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

  6. #6
    Senior Member ThatReallyHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,980
    Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    He's said alot of nasty things about electric fencing, athletic fencing, epee, sabre and flicks. Apparently, the only thing he considers fencing is dry, classical foil.
    I don't think he minds electric fencing too much, but the "must... turn... light... on... at... all... costs!" thing seems to get his goat.

    I would happily take lessons from him - a lot of the stuff that he emphasizes with his classical instruction carries over handily to "sport" fencing. Balance, point control, drilling, strategy... they're all applicable, I think...
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Agent_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    What I found much more amusing was the fact that he was charging $150 a day - much much more than any of the other camps (which feature many amazing national and international coaches), even the expensive one being held in the hamptons...

    hey, if he's managed to add on all these bits and pieces to his resume, (even being proud of the fact that he's "controversial" ), I suppose he's free to exploit that. Although I do shudder to think about the possibility that some unsuspecting and aspiring sport fencer might sign up...

    ah well, whatcha gonna do...

    Alexander

  8. #8
    Senior Member drseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_V
    Although I do shudder to think about the possibility that some unsuspecting and aspiring sport fencer might sign up...

    ah well, whatcha gonna do...
    And I shudder to think of what he would do to anyone who showed up with a pistol grip...
    A second decade of excellence

  9. #9
    Senior Member D+F+P=Hadouken!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by drseudo
    And I shudder to think of what he would do to anyone who showed up with a pistol grip...
    he would monolog for 2 hours, then he'd put his back up like a scorpion, advance slowly with perfect form, lunge at you perfectly, and complain that it was against the code of honor for you to parry.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,587
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatReallyHurt
    I would happily take lessons from him - a lot of the stuff that he emphasizes with his classical instruction carries over handily to "sport" fencing. Balance, point control, drilling, strategy... they're all applicable, I think...

    I agree. I think that lessons from him would be fascinating. I'm sure that many of the tactics he teaches that modern coaches don't would be effective from time to time, especially with the new timings. Of course, you would have to take everything he says and modify it slightly to be most effective in modern sport fencing, but I'm sure that such a camp would be quite worthwhile.

  11. #11
    Senior Member drseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    he would monolog for 2 hours, then he'd put his back up like a scorpion, advance slowly with perfect form, lunge at you perfectly, and complain that it was against the code of honor for you to parry.
    Or after the director calls "fence," he stands there, trying to get his back arm bent at precisely an 87.5° angle (as prescribed by the Code of Hammurabi). Then, when you advance and hit him, he accuses you of being a "poker."
    A second decade of excellence

  12. #12
    Senior Member RebelFencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington über Alles
    Posts
    2,821
    I'd go to the camp just to flick him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbiggs
    I'm sure that such a camp would be quite worthwhile.
    But not worth your money.

    PdF is having a 3-day camp with Paul Soter for $250. He's charging $150/day? Eesh.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  14. #14
    Senior Member MikeHarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Belleville, Mi USA
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    147
    That would be kinda cool to go to his camp I think. Don't have the funds for it this year though, maybe he'll do a repeat.


  15. #15
    Senior Member glowstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    calgary,ab,canada
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHarm
    That would be kinda cool to go to his camp I think. Don't have the funds for it this year though, maybe he'll do a repeat.

    i trust you were referencing the post above yours and NOT evangelista's!??

  16. #16
    Senior Member miyamoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatReallyHurt
    I don't think he minds electric fencing too much, but the "must... turn... light... on... at... all... costs!" thing seems to get his goat.

    I would happily take lessons from him - a lot of the stuff that he emphasizes with his classical instruction carries over handily to "sport" fencing. Balance, point control, drilling, strategy... they're all applicable, I think...
    While that attitude is one of the things that seems to rile him up, I'm really curious what coach you can think of that doesn't emphasis balance, point control, drilling, and strategy? The camps I've seen advertised all have national and international champions, or coaches that train such individuals.

    Or let me put it to you another way:

    As a fencer, looking at camps, would you rather train with Evangelista or:

    Sanzo
    Bisdorf
    Romankov
    Or

    Or almost any of the names advertised to the USFA.

  17. #17
    Senior Member drseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by miyamoto
    As a fencer, looking at camps, would you rather train with Evangelista or:

    Sanzo
    Bisdorf
    Romankov
    Or

    Or almost any of the names advertised to the USFA.
    Right, but at those camps, you actually have to do work. At Camp Evangelista, you just have to wait until he goes into a blissful reverie thinking about how great it was in the Olde Days, when fencers wore baggy woolen uniforms like the '18 Red Sox and had all the athleticism of a grandmaster chess player. Then you can sneak out for ten minutes and smoke a cigarette. Great fun!
    A second decade of excellence

  18. #18
    Senior Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    500
    Evangelista irks me quite a bit as well. I've read 2 of his books. "The Art & Science of Fencing" and that thick one which mostly contains his musings about the above mentioned "good olde days". His black and white fencing ethos irritates my sensitivities.

    My coach was much more of a "classical" fencer than many coaches I've encountered and that has certainly turned him into something of a "classical" coach, but he's not a Nazi d'Histoire like Evangelista. His lessons serve me and others well, as well as the ducking, flicking, bouncing lessons taught by other coaches to other fencers.

    The reason Evangelista is considered such a bane to many competitive fencers is rather pompous "classicler than thou" attitude (which, if one examines the intentions behind the pen, is rather visible) that attacks all that they have been taught and experienced as inherently inferior.

    -Da Mose

  19. #19
    Senior Member ReverseLunge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,153
    Did you guy know that one of us is Nick Evangelista?

  20. #20
    Senior Member angriff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseLunge
    Did you guy know that one of us is Nick Evangelista?
    Me.


Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fencing Camp In Hungary
    By R. Exnicios in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 07:45 PM
  2. Redwood Rapier Camp 2003!
    By Sildar in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 01:41 AM
  3. How does an ADULT fencing camp sound?
    By DamedEscrime in forum Discussion Archive
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-15-2002, 08:12 PM
  4. Northern Colorado Fencers Pre National Camp
    By Andrea Lagan in forum Discussion Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2001, 04:30 PM
  5. Colorado Pre National Training Camp June 21 - 26
    By Craig in forum Discussion Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-1999, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26