Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evangelista camp

Evangelista camp

Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Does anyone find it even remotely funny that nick evangelista is running a camp this year? and that he had the balls to advertise it?
    Where did you find info about this?

I found this on his website
    "Mr. Evangelista is
    the fencing history editor for Encyclopedia Britannica."

Quote Originally Posted by afc fencer
    Where did you find info about this?

I found this on his website
    "Mr. Evangelista is
    the fencing history editor for Encyclopedia Britannica."
    its in the newsletter that the USFA sent out about their summer camps.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Excuse my ignorance. What did Nick Evangelista do to deserve such scorn?
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

Quote Originally Posted by epeeisky
    Excuse my ignorance. What did Nick Evangelista do to deserve such scorn?
    He's said alot of nasty things about electric fencing, athletic fencing, epee, sabre and flicks. Apparently, the only thing he considers fencing is dry, classical foil.

He's said alot of nasty things about electric fencing, athletic fencing, epee, sabre and flicks. Apparently, the only thing he considers fencing is dry, classical foil.
    I don't think he minds electric fencing too much, but the "must... turn... light... on... at... all... costs!" thing seems to get his goat.

I would happily take lessons from him - a lot of the stuff that he emphasizes with his classical instruction carries over handily to "sport" fencing. Balance, point control, drilling, strategy... they're all applicable, I think...
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

What I found much more amusing was the fact that he was charging $150 a day - much much more than any of the other camps (which feature many amazing national and international coaches), even the expensive one being held in the hamptons...

hey, if he's managed to add on all these bits and pieces to his resume, (even being proud of the fact that he's "controversial" ), I suppose he's free to exploit that. Although I do shudder to think about the possibility that some unsuspecting and aspiring sport fencer might sign up...

ah well, whatcha gonna do...

Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_V
    Although I do shudder to think about the possibility that some unsuspecting and aspiring sport fencer might sign up...

ah well, whatcha gonna do...
    And I shudder to think of what he would do to anyone who showed up with a pistol grip...
    A second decade of excellence

Quote Originally Posted by drseudo
    And I shudder to think of what he would do to anyone who showed up with a pistol grip...
    he would monolog for 2 hours, then he'd put his back up like a scorpion, advance slowly with perfect form, lunge at you perfectly, and complain that it was against the code of honor for you to parry.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatReallyHurt
    I would happily take lessons from him - a lot of the stuff that he emphasizes with his classical instruction carries over handily to "sport" fencing. Balance, point control, drilling, strategy... they're all applicable, I think...

I agree. I think that lessons from him would be fascinating. I'm sure that many of the tactics he teaches that modern coaches don't would be effective from time to time, especially with the new timings. Of course, you would have to take everything he says and modify it slightly to be most effective in modern sport fencing, but I'm sure that such a camp would be quite worthwhile.

he would monolog for 2 hours, then he'd put his back up like a scorpion, advance slowly with perfect form, lunge at you perfectly, and complain that it was against the code of honor for you to parry.
    Or after the director calls "fence," he stands there, trying to get his back arm bent at precisely an 87.5° angle (as prescribed by the Code of Hammurabi). Then, when you advance and hit him, he accuses you of being a "poker."

I'd go to the camp just to flick him.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbiggs
    I'm sure that such a camp would be quite worthwhile.
    But not worth your money.

PdF is having a 3-day camp with Paul Soter for $250. He's charging $150/day? Eesh.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Blog Entries
    That would be kinda cool to go to his camp I think. Don't have the funds for it this year though, maybe he'll do a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHarm
    That would be kinda cool to go to his camp I think. Don't have the funds for it this year though, maybe he'll do a repeat.

i trust you were referencing the post above yours and NOT evangelista's!??

Quote Originally Posted by ThatReallyHurt
    I don't think he minds electric fencing too much, but the "must... turn... light... on... at... all... costs!" thing seems to get his goat.

While that attitude is one of the things that seems to rile him up, I'm really curious what coach you can think of that doesn't emphasis balance, point control, drilling, and strategy? The camps I've seen advertised all have national and international champions, or coaches that train such individuals.

Or let me put it to you another way:

As a fencer, looking at camps, would you rather train with Evangelista or:

Sanzo
    Bisdorf
    Romankov
    Or

Or almost any of the names advertised to the USFA.

Quote Originally Posted by miyamoto
    As a fencer, looking at camps, would you rather train with Evangelista or:

Sanzo
    Bisdorf
    Romankov
    Or

Or almost any of the names advertised to the USFA.
    Right, but at those camps, you actually have to do work. At Camp Evangelista, you just have to wait until he goes into a blissful reverie thinking about how great it was in the Olde Days, when fencers wore baggy woolen uniforms like the '18 Red Sox and had all the athleticism of a grandmaster chess player. Then you can sneak out for ten minutes and smoke a cigarette. Great fun!

Evangelista irks me quite a bit as well. I've read 2 of his books. "The Art & Science of Fencing" and that thick one which mostly contains his musings about the above mentioned "good olde days". His black and white fencing ethos irritates my sensitivities.

My coach was much more of a "classical" fencer than many coaches I've encountered and that has certainly turned him into something of a "classical" coach, but he's not a Nazi d'Histoire like Evangelista. His lessons serve me and others well, as well as the ducking, flicking, bouncing lessons taught by other coaches to other fencers.

The reason Evangelista is considered such a bane to many competitive fencers is rather pompous "classicler than thou" attitude (which, if one examines the intentions behind the pen, is rather visible) that attacks all that they have been taught and experienced as inherently inferior.

-Da Mose

Did you guy know that one of us is Nick Evangelista?

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseLunge
    Did you guy know that one of us is Nick Evangelista?
    Me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast