View Poll Results: Which blade to choose?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prieur FIE (Blue Gauntlet) $86

10 16.67%
  • Premier FIE (Blade) $65

3 5.00%
  • Viniti FIE (Triplette) $70

36 60.00%
  • StM Gold (ELI) $64

11 18.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Blade to choose?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CvilleFencer
    The StM blades are very fragile and I have yet to have one that lasts more than three months. The feel is awesome, but the durability is crap.
    As an owner of several StM blades (both FIE and non-FIE) I must say I disagree. I have now had the "oldest" of my StM blades for about three years and have not broken any of them.

Then again I very rarely break blades, it's well over two years since I last did, so perhaps it just depends on your/my fencing style. (And I prefer blades that are not too stiff, but definitely not whippy, so StM suits me fine!)

Anyway telkanuru, just to let you know I'm content with my StMs!
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Leon Paul epee blade. Frickin indestructible.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    telkanuru,

i bought a viniti blade at summer nationals, way too whippy for my preference (i like stiff bf blues), you can check it out next time I see you. I have had a couple StM fie blades, but they seem to break quicker than the bf blades and take odd kinks much easier (just my experience speaking here). I would never buy anthing from blade, and I have never touched a prieur blade. I hate to say it, but save your money for the BFs... the holidays are coming... use that to your advantage.

your absolute best bet is probably to wait for the team to do another uhlmann order and glom on to that.

-w

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Interesting on how some people's Vniti is whippy and mine aren't.
    Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics are German, the lovers are French, and its all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered" George Best

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Most all blades come in a wide variety of feels so that they can appeal to the widest market. The mistake many people have is that they do not go through a knowledgable or customer service oriented vendor who will follow their requests as to what type of blade they are looking for or the just do not ask for something special. Be it a Vniti, BF, LP or StM you can find blades that would double as a pool cue and blades that you can almost flick yourself in the elbow with. If vendors only made one type of blade, stiff for example, they would not be in business very long as the percentage of people who prefer very stiff blades is not as competitive as having a full range of blades to meet all preferances.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CvilleFencer
    Most all blades come in a wide variety of feels so that they can appeal to the widest market. The mistake many people have is that they do not go through a knowledgable or customer service oriented vendor who will follow their requests as to what type of blade they are looking for or the just do not ask for something special. Be it a Vniti, BF, LP or StM you can find blades that would double as a pool cue and blades that you can almost flick yourself in the elbow with. If vendors only made one type of blade, stiff for example, they would not be in business very long as the percentage of people who prefer very stiff blades is not as competitive as having a full range of blades to meet all preferances.
    I specifically asked for the stiffest blade that the person putting together my blade could find in the batch, he assured me that this was infact the stiffest blade in the bunch that he had, it is still overly whippy, and I do trust this person. Viniti has changed their epee blades to be much more whippy than they used to be, there is no question about that.

-w

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Apostrophe
    I specifically asked for the stiffest blade that the person putting together my blade could find in the batch, he assured me that this was infact the stiffest blade in the bunch that he had, it is still overly whippy, and I do trust this person. Viniti has changed their epee blades to be much more whippy than they used to be, there is no question about that.
    -w
    Just keep in mind that because the least whippy blade that vendor X had in his current stock was less than pool cue still does not mean a company has completely gone to making super flicky blades! I hate to harp on the point, I just don't think it is fair to say an entire company has done X based off of one or two samples. Vniti has always made a wide range of flexes in their blades. Some batches are more so than others. Unless you are a vendor that moves a large amount of Vniti blades or an international level Armourer that does flex testing on large among of different blades there is just not enough data to say a company has done something without a doubt, as you do in your post. Maybe the vendor you used did give you the stiffest blade he/she had in stock, but maybe he got a batch of blades that were on the soft side to begin with.

Vniti did change the way the made their blades a while back to lighten them a bit but I have still seen plenty that are very stiff. Of course what is very stiff to me might be wet noodle to some I guess.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Sorry for not being clear.

I have seen many viniti blades in the past (about 2-3 years ago when I first started buying FIE blades and was trying to figure out what I wanted), and I have seen many now (my club buys FIE Viniti's for club weapons and I have shopped several vendors on several occasions at several national tournaments over the past year and a half or so, since summernationals it has been an effort to compare my blade with all the rest of them, and yes I got a stiff viniti, but it does not compare to the BF blades I like.) and all the Viniti blades I see now do not resemble the viniti's I saw and handled several years ago in terms of stiffness. The blade was once known to me as 'the black stick of death' and I was told 'it is like fencing with rebar' that is simply not the case anymore. My last post did seem very anecdotal, and I apologize for that. I know that my blade is one data point and you need to look at a much larger sample, I am not an international armorer, or a dealer, but I have handled hundreds of viniti blades, in search of what I was introduced to viniti blades as and unless the 20-30 I saw a couple years back were completly off from what was/is normal viniti blade making, then they have changed.

-w

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Nobody has really mentioned the Prieur FIE blades.

I've recently started using one after I used to use LPs. The Prieur blades are very light and very stiff. They are also far cheaper than most other FIE blades.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I hate to bring this up again... but I just came from viniti's website (http://www.vinitiusa.com) and what does it say on their webpage:
    "WELCOME
    VNITIUSA

Featuring the Finest Miraging FIE Foil and Epee Blades in the World!
    New Lighter and more Flexible Design!" (emphasis mine)

I feel validated now.

on another note I saw a few of the Prieur blades last night for the first time. They look awful similar to the BF blades. The ones I saw (three of them) were all too soft for my liking however, the BF white that was in the same pile on the other hand... nice....

-w
    Last edited by DJ Apostrophe; 11-11-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    My new Vniti FIE blade is one of the lightest epees in my club. I love it and it also supasses the FIE standard by a mile. Get one!
    Curse you evil Pots & Pans Man!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I vote for Vniti also. They're not that heavy especially if you get a light guard. With the right balance the vniti feels really nice. They also last very long!
    Would be nice if you have a chance to try all of them and decide. Good luck!
    "Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh, and they'll all think you're on drugs."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I had a prieur fie and I was extremely unimpressed with its longevity. It lasted maybe 20% longer than the France-Lames non FIE epees I normally use, and it developed a huge kink in the end that several directors didn't allow.

(But I only had 1.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Something light, STM FIE Rainbow blades weigh a ton. Non Rainbow aren't as bad, but still kind of heavy.

(All compared to BF FIE whites )
    I am he
    The bornless one
    The fallen angel watching you..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davtsung
    For you, Vniti would be the way to go I think.
    I concur.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

blade vs. fencing style

I think the best epee blade depends upon your fencing style.

If you like to be play the sniper making fast, delicate shots to the wrist, try a light blade. People I know that fence this way like Leon Paul (non-FIE), and Prieur FIE blades. However, really light blades are pretty useless for beat attacks, or replacing your point against an opponent with a strong beat.

I play a balanced game, switching between power, accuracy, complex attacks, muscle depending upon the opponent. I like the BF FIE epee blades. They're expensive, but it takes me a year of heavy continuous use to break one, and I break non-FIE blades and lighter FIE blades in 3-4 months.

An A rated epee fencer in my club fences with a ton of speed and power. He uses the STM FIE blades, which are noticably heavier than my BF. Note that STM FIE blades made before about 2005 seem more tip heavy. Those made 2005 and later seem better balanced, but still heavy.

I know a couple other people that like the cheaper Fleche blades because they have all the weight in the back making them very light in the tip.

Our beginner kids get a decent amount of milege out of non-FIE STM blades. They're cheap, and quality seems to have increased over the years. Adults fencing a more poweful game may break the non-FIE STMs too quickly.

I tried the cheapest SG blade once (apparently made in China). I broke it in two weeks, but your mileage may vary.

There are some blades I'm not familiar with, and would like to hear from someone.
    Leon Paul non-FIE vs. Leon Paul FIE.
    What are PBT blades? Who makes them?
    Non-FIE blades from BF forge, such as TCA, Allstar Super, Allstar econostar.
    What is a Dinamo blade? Where is it made?
    What is a Zirkovic Regular blade? Who makes it?
    How is Prieur-CA FL different from Prieur FIE?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qmuser
    What are PBT blades? Who makes them?
    That depends... PBT is an hungarian equipment manufacturer, however, they do not forge any blades. I've seen PBT carry both StM, Dynamo and BF blades stamped with their company logo.

Non-FIE blades from BF forge, such as TCA, Allstar Super, Allstar econostar.
    <see above> If you're stalking about the german manufacturer Allstar than the same goes for them. They also carry a wide variey of blades but do not forge them.

What is a Dinamo blade? Where is it made?
    Dynamo is a ukrainian forge and rumours say they're forged in the same mill as the StM blades. One of the US equipment vendors sell Dynamo blades as "FlÍche" blades, possibly with their vendor stamp on them also.

I would have posted a link to this really useful webpage about different blades -- made by a US fencing club, I believe -- but I can't seem to find it right now. (I have it bookmarked at home but am on my job computer right now.)

Edit: Found it.
    Last edited by Zilverzmurfen; 09-08-2006 at 03:13 AM.
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Doesn't Allstar/Uhlmann own the FS forge now? Perhaps that's where the allstar non FIE ones mainly come from.
    I am he
    The bornless one
    The fallen angel watching you..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbiggs
    I had a prieur fie and I was extremely unimpressed with its longevity. It lasted maybe 20% longer than the France-Lames non FIE epees I normally use, and it developed a huge kink in the end that several directors didn't allow.

(But I only had 1.)
    Oops, sorry for replying. I didn't realize how old this thread is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12