Thread: Is this blade any use?

Is this blade any use?

Could anyone tell me if this foil blade is any good for fencing competitions? Is it a maraging blade?
    I'd appreciate your help!
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/tilmania/klinge.jpg
    -Should you find mistakes in my post...feel free to keep them.

- "Je suis touché!" Lucien Gaudin, Amsterdam 1928

Quote Originally Posted by Stylothek
    Could anyone tell me if this foil blade is any good for fencing competitions? Is it a maraging blade?
    while its still good for local, non-fie competitions, I dont think its valid for FIE since the time limit has expired.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Quote Originally Posted by Stylothek
    I had a blade exactly like this with the FS stamp except that it was from Uhlmann.It broked a few months ago so I guess it was getting a little old(5 years).

Blog Entries
    i dont think that there is a time limit on blades any more i 3 fie blades from the 80's 1 even from 86- the year i was born! i could be mistaken about there not being an expiry date. but i use my old blades in all my overseas comps (australia).
    "The pen may be mightier than the sword - except for in a duel."
    "I had to get up in the morning at 10 o'clock at night 1/2 an hour before i had to go to bed, drink a cup of sulfuric acid, work 29 hours a day down down mill unpaid and have to pay for permission to come to work and when we came home our dad and our mum would kill us and dance around on our grave singing hallelujah!"

Quote Originally Posted by ebonylevin
    i dont think that there is a time limit on blades any more i 3 fie blades from the 80's 1 even from 86- the year i was born! i could be mistaken about there not being an expiry date. but i use my old blades in all my overseas comps (australia).
    There isn't a time limit anymore but I read somewhere that the manufacturers must conduct periodic controls(not sure what that involves).It used to be five years though.
    That would have been expensive...Imagine having to replace all your FIE blades every five years...

Quote Originally Posted by Unmarked
    There isn't a time limit anymore but I read somewhere that the manufacturers must conduct periodic controls(not sure what that involves).It used to be five years though.
    That would have been expensive...Imagine having to replace all your FIE blades every five years...
    I think it's just impressive that you have a blade that can last 5 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmarked
    phew thanks for clearing that up i was beginning to freak out slightly. i do know that the sabres have to be S200. now i can go on using my 18 year old foils, yay, theyre so great and flicky.
    "The pen may be mightier than the sword - except for in a duel."
    "I had to get up in the morning at 10 o'clock at night 1/2 an hour before i had to go to bed, drink a cup of sulfuric acid, work 29 hours a day down down mill unpaid and have to pay for permission to come to work and when we came home our dad and our mum would kill us and dance around on our grave singing hallelujah!"

Thanks, I'm glad I can use that thing for my spare competition foil.
    -Should you find mistakes in my post...feel free to keep them.

- "Je suis touché!" Lucien Gaudin, Amsterdam 1928

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prototoast
    I have a non-FIE blade dating from 1986, still keeping up good!
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilverzmurfen
    Its probably one of those blessed blades... y'know, the ones that never, ever break.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

I have one of those... It's a BG Super, going on 3 years of heavy use... talk about weird.

Quote Originally Posted by telkanuru
    I have one of those... It's a BG Super, going on 3 years of heavy use... talk about weird.
    that boy should have been out in three months at most.

My coach has a really old electric foil that is atleast 30 years old, not sure if it would still meet any requirements, but the blade lasted almost forever. (I was sufficiently amazed when he showed it to me - He has had to replace the grips on it because the leater gets worn off with use)

There used to be a time limit on FIE blades, which is the reason that the date was put in in the first place, however this is no longer the case, and manufacturers must make periodic tests to ensure their weapons are safe over the extended period of time.