Thread: Do not be me

Do not be me

Tomorrow, there is a local tournament, so naturally I decide it's a great time to rewire my spare weapon. Everything goes fine until the bottle of superglue decides to leak. I don't feel anything of course and proceed to cover the fingers of both hands in superglue. Then I pick up a piece of tissue on the ground to throw away while I wait for the glue to dry. I experience tissue+glue+skin. I go check on the blade a little later and find out that a few drops of glue have fallen directly on the tang of my blade, where I have wrapped excess wire of course. A partial acetone bath in a Red Bull bottle later plus some time, and I'm completely finished except for the tip tape. My evil mother decides to call me. I tapeify my tip while talking to my mother and manage to unscrew the tip off the blade.
    This is why you should not talk on cell phones while driving.
    I quit fencing forever dammit.
    "That's hot." - Paris Hilton

haha we all have crappy moments, but if you like fencing then don't quit just because you had some glue and tip troubles. If it's fun, then keep going.
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory." - George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cowpaste
    (snip)
    This is why you should not talk on cell phones while driving.
    Wait--you were trying to tape your tip while driving and talking on a cell phone??

I can see why you had problems!

Your tip was loose anyway - thank your mom for helping you find it before it cost you a yellowcard or a touch.
    - think about getting more spare weapons: 2 or 3 would be better.

Heres another bummer, I superglued my hand to my blade while I was home alone, I rip the blade off my hand, and a layer of skin comes off also.... ow!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

that is why i made sure everyone i live with know that if they bother me while i am working on my weapons they will experience my wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Heres another bummer, I superglued my hand to my blade while I was home alone, I rip the blade off my hand, and a layer of skin comes off also.... ow!
    One word: Acetone

Which is a good reason to always remember and never forget: always resist the urge to scratch your package when working with CA adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisan
    One word: Acetone
    And here I was thinking the one-word solution was: Sabre.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenchick
    And here I was thinking the one-word solution was: Sabre.
    High-five!! Good one.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Sorry, I don't feel one bit sorry for you. Our local tournaments probably won't start until late August, even then, there probably won't be much...

You seriously use superglue to rewire your weapons? HHHHuhhhhhh (long sigh). Superglue works fine for fast fixes, but just doesn't have the right properties to make it a good blade glue in any capacity...
    "Since when does being a patriot in America mean shutting your mouth?"
    ---

zz,zz,zz,zz,zz,zz!

Quote Originally Posted by esskreemr
    You seriously use superglue to rewire your weapons? HHHHuhhhhhh (long sigh). Superglue works fine for fast fixes, but just doesn't have the right properties to make it a good blade glue in any capacity...
    I'm an avid fan of superglue. It's fast and cheap. I pretty much refuse to use anything else. If fact, both of my weapons are superglued, and both have been wired only once (1 year + for both weapons). The only reason I was redoing my spare was because my tip BROKE. That is, the head of the tip broke off while leaving stuff still in the barrel. The foil still didn't white light, but I couldn't score any points like that. I had to redo my whole foil because I'm away from home right now, and everyone here uses Chinese/German tips, and my existing tip was French.

My tip wasn't loose in the beginning. I just kept on twisting absentmindly to make sure the tip tape was on tight. I finally realized what I was doing when the whole tip come off. Also, I should mention that I was using crappy screw hole design German tips. I was put a piece of aluminum in between the tip tape and head to help prevent screw mashing. Fiddling with keeping that in place in addition to the distraction that was my mother caused me to unscrew the foil tip.
    "That's hot." - Paris Hilton

Blog Entries
    The glue on finger's issue can be avoided completely if you slip on a pair of rubber gloves before you get to work with the glue.

Poor cowpaste!

Here's an especially appropriate-to-you joke, to cheer you up:

Q: What goes "ooooooo"?

A: A cow with no lips.

Louweasel
    "I grew up in Europe, where the history comes from" [Eddie Izzard]

"she might not look like much, kid, but she's got it where it counts"

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Speaking of no lips, I'm waiting for cowpaste to tell us about how he forgot and took a drink from that Red Bull bottle....

Inq, you are one sick puppy...

Max
    Dude, that sword sounds scary. Held together by chewing gum and aluminum foil even. God, I love Saber.