Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Democratic Convention.

Max

Democratic Convention.

Did you guys see Clinton's Speech? That was by far the best political speech in the last 4 years. Bush never even came close. It brought everyone together, did every thing it was supposed to, and took that power to double upoun itself. It's hard to explain, but take it from a writer, that speech was off the charts. Do you guys think ther have been any better one's?

Clinton's speech was marvelous in tone and in addressing the issues that it had to, and it had some good lines. My one criticism is that I think it crescendoed a little too often toward the end - it seemed to interupt the flow a little. That said, otherwise it was superb. I didn't like a lot of what Clinton did as president, but he has a head on his shoulders and he can speak well - you ahve to give him credit for that. Oh, and another note - when his speech ended my clock read 11:01, and he was late going on as Hillary ran into his time - does everybody else find this as remarkable as I do that he didn't go on forever?

Unfortunately, i missed Carter's speech earlier, but that was the best speech i've seen clinton deliver and one of the better ones i've heard. The subject matter (in terms of praising Kerry and Edwards) is what's going to prevent it from being considered a great speech - it's no civil rights movement, no momentous inauguration, no eulogy for thousands.

It wasn't disjointed though, unlike this post, and really it was beautiful. Only problem is that it leaves a lot for other featured speakers to live up to, and I don't think that Obama or Kerry or Edwards is able to (then again, I haven't heard Obama speak, but his youth will prevent him from being able to deliver one like Clinton did). I just hope that the political conventions can remain safe and the democratic process (and showboating) can continue without interuption.

We don't have TV .. . I would've loved to see Al and Jimmy. The only really bad thing was that the Clintons were talking so dang late! I was asleep by the time they were on! is there a movie file on the web, or even just a sound file?
    thetheory.tk

http://www.cspan.org/
    if you look at recent programs their speeches should be listed there (or the entire first day of the Democratic convention, but watching that all would be rather painful)

Definitely an outstanding speech... Clinton shows again that he's an incredibly gifted politician and speaker, and fully in command of his material. Quite a contrast with the current occupant of 1600
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, theory and practice are different."

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Not to mention with the guy who'd like to replace him. Can we get a charisma transfusion going, Clinton to Kerry? Even Edwards to Kerry. Damn, even Carter to Kerry! Something.

Not that glibness or the ability to charm the pants off ( sorry ) of people is any sort of sine qua non for leadership or anything, but one does prefer not to be put to sleep listening to one's President, given how many years one is going to be hearing from him...

Did anyone see Obama's speech?

Blog Entries
    It was good--clear, persuasive, touching on the main Democratic platform points and making some of his own points. When he was interviewed by the NPR correspondent immediately afterwards, he seemed calm, collected, and both confident and humble at the same time.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata
    Not to mention with the guy who'd like to replace him. Can we get a charisma transfusion going, Clinton to Kerry? Even Edwards to Kerry. Damn, even Carter to Kerry! Something.

Not that glibness or the ability to charm the pants off ( sorry ) of people is any sort of sine qua non for leadership or anything, but one does prefer not to be put to sleep listening to one's President, given how many years one is going to be hearing from him...
    I saw Kerry at a rally in Philadelphia yesterday. He's not a bad speaker at all. He was confident and clear, and he worked the crowd very well, responding with humor and honesty to call-outs. Oddly, I think he's a better public speaker than he appears on TV, which wouldn't be anything new. One of the things people learn for the camera is that less is more, and Kerry maintains a high level of energy when he talks which is quite vivid in person.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”

Obama's speech was very emotional and outstanding. If Bush wins this year I think he and Hillary should run in '08.
    *Contains Sulfites

Good thing for America's Republicans that glibbiness and charisma aren't prerequisites to leadership nor other Presidential expectations. I mean who'd ever think a President should need the ability to carry off a speech to his nation or even be able to conduct conversation that didn't include spittin'?

one does prefer not to be put to sleep listening to one's President, given how many years one is going to be hearing from him...
    Infinitely preferable to the current President, who can't get through a paragraph without mangling grammar and diction, and placing emphasis on the wrong syllables.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, theory and practice are different."

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Infinitely preferable to the current President, who can't get through a paragraph without mangling grammar and diction, and placing emphasis on the wrong syllables.
    LOL nucular

Aha, I knew someone would fall into my trap! Thanks, felicote, for unwittingly playing into my hands!

Nuk-yuh-ler. The way Jimmy Carter also pronounces it. Y'know, Nobel Prize winning Democratic ex-President all-around genius Jimmy Carter?

Nuk-yuh-ler. The way Senator Pat Roberts also pronounces it. Y'know, Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee Pat Roberts?

Nuk-yuh-ler. The way Bob Woodward also pronounces it. Y'know, Pulitzer Prize-winning Nixon-felling liberal journalist emeritus Bob Woodward?

Idiots all, I guess. Or, wait---could it be a regionalism? Or a minor speech pathology, like Governor and Doctor Howard Dean's "perscription"?

What to do, what to do? If it makes Bush stupid, it makes Carter and Woodward stupid! If it doesn't....oh no, we're deprived of a way to feel superior to Bush and make smirking attacks on his intelligence! What to DO?

Aiiieeeeee!!!

Blog Entries
    Inq - "nucular" was pretty funny no matter WHO said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach
    Inq - "nucular" was pretty funny no matter WHO said it.
    From one of my logic websites:

"A non sequitur is an argument where the conclusion is drawn from premises which aren't logically connected with it.

(Non sequiturs are an important ingredient in a lot of humor. They're still fallacies, though.)"

I watched some Fox News (you know - the broadcasting wing of the Republican party) coverage of the Democratic convention - and they expressed they're outrage that there were partisan remarks at the convention! My God - what will happen next - maybe the Dems will suggest voting for Democrats!

They also whined about Kerry's boat ride, saying how tired they were of him pulling the veteran card "all right - we get the point that he was in the Navy" (they couldn't bring themselves to say "wounded, decorated war hero", or make the obvious comparison to GWB). I doubt that they regret hyping Bush's victory dance on the aircraft carrier as unseemly...

Regarding 'nucular' - I've read articles suggesting that it's 'faux populism' - an affectation to pretend to be 'just folks'.

Now, if we're going to reach all the way back - there was Lenny Bruce's hysterical rendering of LBJ's accent. This hyar accent fuss aint new...

(What I'd like to see is a strong Brooklyn accent in the White House: "whatchewlooking at, huh?" "fuggedaboutit")

I just think anyone pronouncing nuclear nucular sounds pretty funny.
    Everytime I hear Bush pronounce it wrong I think of Homer Simpson.

"It's pronounced nucular, nu-cu-lar"- Homer Simpson
    Last edited by felicote; 07-29-2004 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felicote
    I just think anyone pronouncing nuclear nucular sounds pretty funny.
    Everytime I hear Bush pronounce it wrong I think of Homer Simpson.

"It's pronounced nucular, nu-cu-lar"- Homer Simpson
    Its only worth pointing out that it's funny when George Bush say's it?
    Benjamin Franklin when asked by a woman, "What kind of government have you given us?" Replied, "A Republic Madam, if you can keep it!"

"The Dude Abides"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast