Thread: Help!! Baby Chicks Fell Out Of Their Nest!

Help!! Baby Chicks Fell Out Of Their Nest!

Can someone tell me what I can do? I know I can't touch them because if I do, they will smell like me and the mom will reject them. They are young and can't fly. They have their primary feathers. Can anyone help me? Plz. they are still on the ground and I don't know what to do.
    "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
    - Muhammad Ali

Been there done that. I would use either tongs, or put on rubber gloves, and put them back in. Either that, or let them die.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Since I don't know where your located, the best thing to do is probably search this site: http://www.netpets.com/birds/birdresc/birdgrp.html to see if there is a rescue in your area. They usually have hotlines if you've found an injured bird, so try calling. Good luck!

-K
    Check out my store:
    Fencing apparel for KOS and others

"Ah.......I see you have a sword! I have one too! They're very manly and tough!" -Mulan

http://fencinggirl.blogspot.com

This is a sexual subliminal message!!!!!

we put on leather gloves to put them back in, but they just jumped out like a second later! It might just be them trying to learn or maybe they fell on their heads. All I can think we can do now is just watch.

I think the mother just went back into the nest. Thanks for your help.
    - Muhammad Ali

This is a stage in development for them. You should not try to put them back in their nest. If you want to help, you could put up like a wire fence around the area where they are to protect them from predators.

we had a nest of birds, baby birds... they were chirping one morning, and then the next morning, they were all gone. Unless they learned how to fly overnight (not likely, they were 16 days old), then the cat ate them... we found feathers in the cat litter the next day. It was really sad.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

I know that it's a typical assumption that birds can smell your scent on their young, but to my knowledge, only vultures have any kind of sense of smell at all in the avian kingdom. Other birds have little to no olfactory abilities.

Still, Your best bet is to leave them on the ground and protect them from threatening predators. If the parents care, they will feed them there. If the parents do not care, there is nothing you can do. Some birds will refuse to help any young bird that leaves the nest at all. Others, like the wren, will fight at all odds to protect their young whether they leave the nest or not.

Good luck!!!

Once they're out, their chances of survival are relatively slim. If there are only a few days before they will be flying anyway (they already have feathers, yes?), they're not hard to keep alive until they can fend for themselves.

What species is it? You can go to a bait store and get worms (lots! anybody who uses the phrase "eats like a baby bird" has clearly never seen a baby bird eat. They're gluttonous little bastards.) Make a "nest"; use shredded t-shirts and such.

If they bond with you young enough, they will sometimes return to the same place seasonally. Birds are not incredibly bright, but amazing little creatures.

darius

we put them back in the nest and the mother seems to have come back, which is good. So, every thing is fine now. Thanks very much!
    - Muhammad Ali