Thread: Finding the right flexibility

Blog Entries

Finding the right flexibility

hey, i was going to order some new blades, and i'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier during nationals, where i could have gotten a feel for what i was buying , but anyway... as a substitute i was curious if i could get the vendor to kind of do it for me, like asking them to randomly take ten blades of a certain type, bending them, and have them send me the 2 most flexible ones of the batch. has anyone tried this ? are there certain vendors who might be more willing to do this than others?

Quote Originally Posted by Superscribe
    hey, i was going to order some new blades, and i'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier during nationals, where i could have gotten a feel for what i was buying , but anyway... as a substitute i was curious if i could get the vendor to kind of do it for me, like asking them to randomly take ten blades of a certain type, bending them, and have them send me the 2 most flexible ones of the batch. has anyone tried this ? are there certain vendors who might be more willing to do this than others?
    You can always order a "flickmaster" from Leon Paul ...

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    you could possibly get a vender to send you a flexible blade from a batch if you ask nicely (though there's no way you could know...)
    or you could just order a blade thats flexible by reputation (one of which is mentioned above)

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    you could possibly get a vender to send you a flexible blade from a batch if you ask nicely (though there's no way you could know...)
    or you could just order a blade thats flexible by reputation (one of which is mentioned above)
    BG foil, soft. Just cause it breaks in 2 months doesn't mean its a bad foil.

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canthidefromme
    BG foil, soft. Just cause it breaks in 2 months doesn't mean its a bad foil.
    i know someone who broke 36 bg foil blades in one year.
    you tell me if thats "bad" or not.

I think that speaks more to the person than to the blade, when the number reaches 36
    "Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gun powder + cat in a box"
    -Albert Einstein, in a letter to Erwin Schrödinger

No kiddin, what kinda dumb ******* buys 36 of one blade and breaks every one of them. I'm having luck with the leon paul epee blades, they are strong and flexi.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whtouche
    I think that speaks more to the person than to the blade, when the number reaches 36
    i'd like to point out that i think it was his parents buying the blades. i think the mentality was "cheaper blades means when they break they're cheaper to replace" and it took a year to change it to "one good blade will last longer and save money in the long run".

my point was that he was a reasonably good fencer who didn't abuse blades. he broke 36 BG blades in one year. i'd advise to steer clear of them.

BG electic foil blades are crap. The worst brand name blades I have ever used. I have heard tons of horror stories about how often they break, and have went through about five myself before we stoped using them at the club. One fencer I know went through 3 or 4 in a single fairly small tourney!

Saul at the Fencing post has always been very accomodating to me whenever I ask for a special feel from one of the blades I have gotten from him. For Foil I tend to prefer Vniti and it can be somewhat of a challenge to find one of those that is a bit whippy but he has done it for me several times so I would give him a call. They are also one of the cheapest place around to buy Uhlmann, Vniti (even though he does not list them on his sight) StM and Leon Paul blades that I know of, plus you get really good custome service in addition to reasonable prices.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

It's just my experience, but...I get Blade-fencing's bare electric foil huricane damaged Fleche blades for $8/ea. I think you can get them even cheaper some where else, but that's not the point. They're balanced well, very active, whip well, and last quite a long time (barring wierd twists and bends). But don't get them, I need them.

non iligitimi carborundum
    Last edited by geezer; 07-23-2004 at 11:02 AM.

www.fencesmart.com had some of the same fleche blades for five dollars, and the first batch I bought I was very happy with. The surface rust was not that bad and very patchy and spread out so that after maybe 10-15 minutes with an abrasive sponge and some auto body paper they looked as good as new and last a very long time.

The last couple of ones I got were a bit weird in that they were french grip only (they were only threaded on the last inch or so of the tang) and the wire grove was cut so shallow I had to go over them with a dremmel to be able to get the wire in so that it was protected. About an hours worth of work total, so those two were more hassle than they were worth in my opinion, but I may have just gotten unlucky, or they may be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Anyway, best deal in club/electric pratice blades I have ever heard of if you can find decent examples of them.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Well that depends on whether you can afford to break 36 blades in a year.

Blog Entries
    Alright guys thanks for the replies, i guess i'll just try to call all the vendors and see who'd be willing to go that extra mile. first and foremost i wanna try those who sell the new prieur blade, i've heard good stuff. do they seem incredibly well polished with the best "blue" and "gold" to everyone else? lol, i wanna set up a gold blade with my new pimp zebra and cheetah thumbpads.

i have two of the new prieur epee blades, they do have a good gold finish on, they are also very flicky. the only thing is that one is noticably more flicky. they are light and have good balance. the only thing i dislike about them is sometimes it is hard to parry due to the flexability

Pho
    Got a question on those priuer FIE epee blades. I have seen two versions, a blue and a gold one. These blades seem to be constructed differently (the blue ones seems to be thinner at the top and the forte a little thicker). The gold one I believe has the old france lames FIE stamp while the blue ones have a Priuer sport stamp. Are these two different epee types of epee blades in feel and durability?

I know this isn't about epee priuer blades, but don't blades (any blade) become more flexible the more you use them?
    "I think this point is best point you will ever see... ahh look, I'm so good aren't I? Oh and here referee was wrong, opponent made attack first and I counterattacked but referee gave point to me, but that's life I guess. Ho ho ho..."
    (I wonder who

Quote Originally Posted by Pho
    Got a question on those priuer FIE epee blades. I have seen two versions, a blue and a gold one. These blades seem to be constructed differently (the blue ones seems to be thinner at the top and the forte a little thicker). The gold one I believe has the old france lames FIE stamp while the blue ones have a Priuer sport stamp. Are these two different epee types of epee blades in feel and durability?
    the two blades i have are gold, they do have the old france-lames stamp on. i have only seen one blue one close-up, while compairing it with the gold one that i have. it seemed to be of the same design, but stiffer. i can't remember what stamp it had on, but i think it was the france-lames one. i am not sure how long either last, i only had them for about 6 months with moderate use