Thread: The Davinci Code / Angels & Demons

The Davinci Code / Angels & Demons

I've finished reading The Davinci Code and I'm right in the middle of Angels & Demons (both of which are written by Dan Brown). Has anyone else read one or both of these? I was completely captured while reading the Code and Angels & Demons is just as excited. What did everyone else feel?

If you haven't read them yet and you're a) a history buff, b) are interested in things involving the Holy Grail, or c) just plain like a good book, I definately recommend them!
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory." - George S. Patton

Aren't they great books?
    If you like them,
    you should read Digital fortress and Deception point.
    They're a little less gory then Angels & Demons.
    But still really really good.
    "You can honestly say that you can settle for a life full of repression and denial?" "And the dinner parties. You can never forget the dinner parties."

Yeah I definately want to pick those up when I finish this one. Hopefully it'll be soon because once classes start I'll be swamped and I don't need a book that makes me read.
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory." - George S. Patton

I've read Angels and Demons, Deception Point and the Davinci Code. I loved em all. Personally I think Angels and Demons is the best. But your inclination that history buffs would like isn't all that correct since a large portion of the "history" in both books is false. Which is fine since it makes for good reading, but misleads people who take it as gospel.

Well true, I guess I shouldn't say history buff fully. However it's based on history and feels like you're reading a history book only one that you can enjoy.
    While it is not entire true, they touch on truths in history (The Illuminati, DaVinci's works, etc.) I hope that's a little clearer.

I read both The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons and really enjoyed them. Angels and Demons was much more drawn out than The Davinci Code. I thought that it had more intricate detail than The Davinici Code. Both books though were really amazing and it was impossible to put it down.
    "I have an excellent idea! Let's change the subject." March Hare

I read the DiVinci Code and LOVED it, I couldn't put the thing down. Then a firend told me that they're all basically the same so just reading one is fine. I guess that isn't true...?
    -Sabresque

"Those whippernsapper Be-Bop Bohemians!"

I can't vouch for the others he has written, however Angels & Demons does follow along the same lines. However it's with the Illuminati and such. Even though it's the same basic idea, I really like both of them (thus far).

Bah... The writing is populist and overly simplified.... If you want similiar subject matter, with a great deal more substance, and an incredible amount of depth... read Umberto Eco. Dan Brown kinda copied him... or so it seems....
    If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time~Proust

~The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

read all of the dan brown books mentioned above
    my order of preference
    1: Digital Fortress
    2: Angels & Demons
    3: Deception Point
    4: DaVinci Code

-w

I read the Davinci Code and wasn't terribly impressed. Prehaps bercause all of the "Mysteries" that were discussed as being such secrets were all tings that I had read befroe in various history/conspiracy books. And frankly, I thought the end was terrible. No real resolution, it just stops.
    If you give a man a fire, he is warm for the night.
    If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Well you can't fully have a resolution to the problem (there's an epologue afterward if you didn't read it, read it). It is after all the Holy Grail which has yet to be discovered. Just rumors of where it is and where it was. So until that time, there's no for sure ending to what they were looking for. At least that's what I make of it.

Enders Game series beats all of them =P
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Max
    Too busy reading good stuff- ie, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, all Fleming, all new Stephen King, Ludlum, Asimov, and I think that's all for now. Oh, and I'm about to read Etiquette by Emily Post. Don't ask.

My friend was telling me about the Davinci code this and about some thing called the "Prior of Scion" could someone clear that up for me on what it is? Supposedly, my friend told me, they are a secret order devoted to protecting the holy grail, or some map that leads you to and and ultimate power if you have both and how to use it etc. If I was a cheapass and had money I'd buy the book and read it.(ie. the davinci code)

Quote Originally Posted by ThornOfTheBlood
    My friend was telling me about the Davinci code this and about some thing called the "Prior of Scion" could someone clear that up for me on what it is? Supposedly, my friend told me, they are a secret order devoted to protecting the holy grail, or some map that leads you to and and ultimate power if you have both and how to use it etc. If I was a cheapass and had money I'd buy the book and read it.(ie. the davinci code)
    Libraries are a wonderful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Oh, and I'm about to read Etiquette by Emily Post. Don't ask.
    You must be getting married soon.
    Am I right?

It's the Priory of Sion, supposedly their main goal for hundreds of years has been protecting the whereabouts of the Holy Grail. Look it up.

Max
    Hey boss.... let's shave him? Well, somebody's been going to the wrong website's...

AHHHHH!!!
    No undermining the brilliance of Dan Brown with off topic posts!!!
    "You can honestly say that you can settle for a life full of repression and denial?" "And the dinner parties. You can never forget the dinner parties."