Thread: Wimbledon

Wimbledon

YAY, Sharapova won. Thats all

Wow, Sharapova can play!!

But if you like tennis, you'd better be watching the Roddick-Federer final; there's some amazing stuff going on (despite the rain delays).

darius

Stupid rain

Max
    I have to see that match where she won. I misse dit.

Let's hear it for Federer
    With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter

why do they keep score by going 15; 30; 40; .....?

I really dont know.

[QUOTE=Joan of Ark]why do they keep score by going 15; 30; 40; .....?/QUOTE]

Because that's the way the cookie crumbles....
    With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Insert rousing rendition of the song "Tradition!" here....

Personally, I can only interest myself in women's tennis. ( Gee, I wonder why that is? )

Quote Originally Posted by Joan of Ark

It was once explained to me that the British came up with this system so as to confuse the Yanks and discourage them from taking up the sport. I have no idea if it's true, but sounds like something the Brits would do.

Tennis is old sport once and has changed quite a bit over time.

Originally, it was only played by the noble, elite, or wealthy French. It was played indoors, and the rules were quite different. One could use the walls like racquetball for instance.

Well, the game caught on, and soon the masses started to try to play, and the elite taught them a bastardized version of the game since heaven forbid that they have the same hobbies. Outdoors, no walls, and a confusing scoring system.

For some extra info check out:
    http://www.cliffrichardtennis.org/pl...anchor_ancient

Or do a quick search on Google. You'll get diagrams of the courts, and locations where one can play original tennis.

For a great idea of what REAL tennis looks like, check out the 1974 version of The Three Musketeers.
    Last edited by achilleus; 07-06-2004 at 03:39 PM.
    We're no threat, people, we're not dirty, we're not mean
    We love everybody but we do as we please
    When the weather's fine,
    We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea
    We're always happy
    Life's for livin', yeah, that's our philosophy

Tennis is old sport once and has changed quite a bit over time.

Originally, it was only played by the noble, elite, or wealthy French. It was played indoors, and the rules were quite different. One could use the walls like racquetball for instance.

Well, the game caught on, and soon the masses started to try to play, and the elite taught them a bastardized version of the game since heaven forbid that they have the same hobbies. Outdoors, no walls, and a confusing scoring system.
    Sounds oddly familiar to something that we know of... except for the part about using the walls.

Eh? Eh??

the chick is SUPER HOT!!! i don't want to hear anything else about tennis.

What is the origin of the scoring system in tennis: love, 15, 30, 40?

The rules of the new game of lawn tennis were drawn up by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) in 1875. Scoring derived from real, or royal, tennis, which had its origins in medieval cathedral cloisters. The name comes from the French habit of calling out tenez! (take this!) before serving. In real tennis, each exchange was worth 15 points, the score of 40 being an abbreviation for 45. Deuce is a corruption of a deux (meaning two consecutive exchanges needed to win). Love is either a corruption of l'oeuf (an egg) or playing not seriously but for the love of the game.

In the beginning, both rackets and tennis scoring were used for lawn tennis. With rackets scoring, a game comprised 15 aces, which could be won only by the server who remained "hand in" until the loss of a rally. Tennis scoring was adopted for the first Wimbledon Championships in 1877 and became the standard.

The origins of the 15, 30, 40 and so on are not known, but have medieval and French roots. One possible explanation is that the scoring system is based on the presence of a clock face at the end of the tennis court. A quarter move of the appropriate hand was made after each rest, with the score being called as 15, 30, or 45 as the case might be. As the hand was moved to 60, making the complete circuit, this was the game.

Max
    Quote Originally Posted by glowstix
    the chick is SUPER HOT!!! i don't want to hear anything else about tennis.
    My sentiments exactly.

yes i must agree with stix and max, i started a thread to discuss a chick's hottness, and all of a sudden a serious conversation breaks out about tennis. maybe i should have named this thread CHICK HOTTNESS DISCUSSION. i know all the guys, or at least the strait ones, agree with me. anyway, more sharapova talk, less tennis talk, i decree it.

I dunno how or why the scoring is, aparently a couple of you pay more attention than I did. I played for two and a half years on my high school team and love, 15, 30,40, and dueces are about all I remember.
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory." - George S. Patton