Thread: NBC, The Smarts. and NBC

Max
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

NBC, The Smarts. and NBC

The Olympics wil be aired somewhat decently this year, and here's why-

res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/servbusy.htm#http://www.nbcolympics.com/fencing/index.html

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    YES! YES YES YES YES!

Not only do they have a story on fencing, but they have LINKS! To OTHER stories! They did MORE THAN ONE. Wow.

I'm really glad we have so many fantastic atheletes that are impressive enough to get into the news even though they are...fencers.

We have several very good teams, and an interesting story with the family thing. (Smarts and the Jacobsons).

Wow, I'm starting to browse the site now. Give this network a cookie, MAN did they do a good job. Usually the fencing pictures news networks find kinda suck, but these are really good. I'm impressed. This site gives me confidence that maybe, just maybe, we'll actually see some fencing on TV in the U.S. And with a little luck, maybe it'll be in the daytime as well.

This truly makes my day.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    They don't mention Tim Morehouse on the men's sabre team.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach
    They don't mention Tim Morehouse on the men's sabre team.
    I don't think they mention any of the alternates.
    Don't let 'em drop it. Don'tlet'emdropit. Stop it... bebop it.

~Charlie Mingus

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hey Army Fencer, in response to your sig line.....HOW FAR
    John Matus
    Anchorage Fencing Club

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiavona
    Hey Army Fencer, in response to your sig line.....HOW FAR
    ALL THE WAY! Hooah.
    Available Now!!"The Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing", Third Edition go to The Armorer's Store or Fencing.net

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    i bet they'll probably only show sabre fencing if the americans make it far enough (and they probably might). i'm more interested in the foil and epee.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by glowstix
    i bet they'll probably only show sabre fencing if the americans make it far enough (and they probably might). i'm more interested in the foil and epee.
    at least its a move in the right direction... now, we just have to hope that they don't show it in the middle of the night....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    good sign number two: there are two people listed as fencing commentators. John Dockery and Suzanne Paxton.
    Homestarrunner forever!~!
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/20x6vs1936.html

http://www.homestarrunner.com/cheatvideo.html

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

FYI Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by The0ne
    good sign number two: there are two people listed as fencing commentators. John Dockery and Suzanne Paxton.
    Suzanne (Suzie) Paxton joins NBC for her Olympic broadcast debut in Athens as the fencing analyst. Paxton, a member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic Fencing Team, was a top nationally and internationally ranked fencer in women's foil individual and team competition.

John Dockery made the unlikely transition from the quiet Harvard libraries of his undergraduate days to the colorful playing fields of the NFL. Exchanging his mortarboard for a Jet helmet, he added a touch of ivy to the 1969 Super Bowl. On any given Sunday afternoon one had to scan the field to find just where this versatile performer was playing. John spent two seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers and one with the World Football League. As a pro he has played left and right comerback, wide receiver, back-up place-kicker, and, of all things, reserve quarterback

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Wait wait wait...

Does this mean they're going to televise fencing? If so, I may not skip watching it this year. I've come to really hate all the little bios about the gymnists. Somehow, despite my empathy, I cannot get myself to watch those oh so fascinating , heart warming , and overall short and pleseant biographies of how that short woman was born without limbs , trained in what is essentially a meat packing factory with a couple of bars strewn around the room, her boyfriend recently broke up with her and she was blown to nine different pieces with a car bomb. I mean, Who wouldn't watch that?

I'll go get a mop for that sarcasm...

Don't take me wrong, I admire their talent in a awed sort of way. I just don't think it's a sport, it's a live soap opera with really bad actresses who cry a lot.
    Last edited by grphiw; 07-13-2004 at 12:47 AM.
    "Steady as a mountain, attack like fire, still as a wood, swift as the wind. In heaven and earth I alone am to be revered."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    By the way, Athens I believe is GMT +5:00. So, based on the assumption that it will be aired live (I pray that this is not the case, depsite the authenticity of it), East Coasters like me will have the 10:00 AM events start at...

3:00 AM.

I'm going to go buy a lot of blank tapes...

However, it will be done by noon here on the east coast. I think I'm going to become nocturnal that week, take a week off from life.
    "Steady as a mountain, attack like fire, still as a wood, swift as the wind. In heaven and earth I alone am to be revered."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grphiw
    By the way, Athens I believe is GMT +5:00. So, based on the assumption that it will be aired live (I pray that this is not the case, depsite the authenticity of it), East Coasters like me will have the 10:00 AM events start at...

3:00 AM.
    You'll still need the blank tapes--but Athens is GMT + 2. So a 10:00 am event would show live on the East Coast at 5:00 p.m. (EDT).

--Philistine