Thread: Modifying a sabre lame?

Modifying a sabre lame?

At the pomme recently I purchased a shiny new uhlmann sabre lame. I love it, it's great. But one of the reasons I enjoyed my infinity is because it wasn't what everyone else had. And I know if I get my name printed on the back of this new lame it will be something at least to differentiate it, but I wonder.

Last year when a friend of mine was romancing the various varsity fencing programs around the country, she visited....I think it was duke. And apparantly what they did was cut off the triangular-shaped non conductive lower section of the sabre lames, the white cloth part attached to the strap. And dyed them (blue?) then re-sewed them onto the lames.

Would something like this be legal for usfa competition? If I were to do the same thing, but maroon colored, would that be useable up thru the national level? or even the international level if I ever made it there?
    Any thoughts? possible precedent?
    "Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gun powder + cat in a box"
    -Albert Einstein, in a letter to Erwin Schrödinger

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    once again -- disclaimer: i'm not an armourer

i browsed the rules and there doesn't seem to be anything specifically saying that area on the sabre lame has to be white. i'd assume it would probably be ok if people are fencing with blue, yellow, red, green, black, or whatever colored lames.

but also note that collegiate teams don't have to follow usfa rules and they don't have the same rules for uniforms. but, then, on the other hand, i've seen penn state and temple fencers fence nacs/nationals with their school lames. i've seen UF kids fence with their uniforms with the blue bars under the arms and down the legs. i don't see why a blue sabre-crotch will be any more of an infraction than those things.

Only rule you're likely to be hitting is the single, light color on the torso rule. Can maroon be considered a light color? Does having the cloth part be a distinct color from the metallic part count as a single color? Do armorers generally care? These are questions you should be trying to answer.

-B :)
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

You've posted in several different threads how much you loved your infinity lame... mind if I ask why you just purchased an uhlmann (and haven't you had you infinity lame for only like a year now)?

Oiuyt, you brought up a great point, I had never considered. The LIGHT Blue, Red, etc., that have White bottom, technically they are not legal, but I don't think anyone has said anything.

Considering what has been allowed by the USFA, I would doubt anyone would object.

I am going to have to think about what you brought up.
    Donald Hollis Clinton, Jr.
    DHCJr@juno.com

To Teach is to Learn (Japanese Proverb)

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by prototoast
    You've posted in several different threads how much you loved your infinity lame... mind if I ask why you just purchased an uhlmann (and haven't you had you infinity lame for only like a year now)?
    I love my infinity. But would love it more if it worked consistently now.
    And yes, it is just over a year old. But as I've said, it tends to get holes in my way more than I like, and the constant sewing is getting to be a problem. That and at the last two tournaments I fenced in it failed inspection. The first one, sectionals, I gave it a sink bath and it came alive, but I dont feel like having to do that very often.
    It also seems to have grown some spots of what are probably mold, which after multiple washings having come out. They dont seem to affect the conductivity at all, but it's just annoying to see and creepy to fence in.

Also, since I got my infinity Ive lost a bit of weight, not very much but enough to make my lame, which was already loose when I got it, really really hard, and sometimes I lose touches when someone barely knicks a stray fold that didnt retreat fast enough.
    "Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gun powder + cat in a box"
    -Albert Einstein, in a letter to Erwin Schrödinger

Dude....just go whole hog...tie dye!!!
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer
    Yes. Then you can jump around and give your opponents motion sickness

What you need to do get is get a really reflective silver cloth and then get a mask made out of a two way mirror. Then fence facing the light so the reflective glare will blind your enemies.
    Fleche!! Fleche for fantasy.

"Dude! Zombie Keith Moon would be an unstoppable force!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer
    speaking of tie dye... and random colorness did anyone see the girl at pomme de terre with the rainbow lame this past weekend (foil)? That was much more extreme than what ben is proposing here.

-w