Into the Frey (with shiny new weapons)
by, 08-26-2012 at 11:35 AM (622 Views)
While I was working out yesterday, Coach Jake asked if I was fencing the BCAF open epee tournament on the 2nd.
When I got home I checked out Fred, and got myself a bit intimidated. Then I decided to do it anyway for the following reasons:
1. It will be the biggest tournament I've fenced by far, which will be an excellent experience for me.
2. More very much needed 5 touch bout experience within the construct of a competition.
3. BCAF looks like a beautiful facility, and it'll be fun to fence there.
4. If I don't make the DEs, I'll get to relax, watch some epee and root for my club mates.
5. It's a day of fencing, so heck yeah.
I won't have to borrow weapons for the tournament either. My 4 piece (2 weapons, 2 bodycords) competition epee set arrived from Absolute on Friday. Christmas in August. I can't wait for Tuesday when I get to break them in.
I've switched my rest-day from Tuesday to Monday, because I'd rather fence epee twice a week than foil at this point.
I'm feeling smarter after every bout. I attack with more calculation and less desperation (though sometimes my calculations are erroneous, sometimes very erroneous.). My point control is showing improvement thanks to the wall pad and fencing arm work. Turns out, it helps when you aim.